IXL

So I don't know what I did before IXLIXL is an online practice program that has language arts, math skills, and more. My school just purchased it for our grade level and I love it already! The kids also love it too and ask to play it! That is a refreshing change from the groans I used to get when we'd work on some of our other math programs.  We've mainly been using IXL for  math so I'm going to share a few of my favorite things about it....

Image result for ixl


  • Differentiation
    • With IXL you have access to multiple grade levels and skills, which allows you to have kids move at their own pace.  I teach second and I can use first grade practice for some of my struggling students and use third grade practice for students who have mastered the second grade skill and need a challenge.
  • Real Time Data
    • This is the best part of IXL.  They have real time data. I can have my students working on IXL in class and/or in study hall and see exactly how they are doing and what they are doing. It lets you know if a student has missed so many and is struggling and needs help.  This instant access to how they are doing is fantastic!
  • Multiple Skills
    • As I mentioned in my differentiation point, there are many skills for each topic. For example, we've been working on patterns. It has repeating patterns and growing patterns and different variations of each. I love that there are many options and that it covers so many math and language arts skills.
  • Instant Feedback for Students and Teacher
    • This is why I like using it especially for homework. Feedback is instant. Once the student submits their answer they know right away if they got it correct or if they got it wrong. If they got it wrong it coaches them through some tips to see what they did wrong.
  • Appropriate amounts of practice 
    • I'm not a fan of worksheets and I've been saying this for years. I do not think every child needs to be doing 50 problems on a worksheet to show they have mastered something. Some kids do need more problems to demonstrate mastery, but some can demonstrate it in 10 problems instead of 50.  As they get problems right on IXL, it moves them closer to 100 as they get them wrong the lose points. It gives them the practice they need. If a child understands the skill it gives them a few problems to show that and then they are done.  I like that it isn't drill and kill - a billion problems that many students do not need.
So there you have it - some of the reasons why I love IXL. I'm still learning so I'm sure there are more features, but I am a fan so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment